A crowded harbor

MacWharf wide wp

In the late Seventies, more than 70 boats worked out of Provincetown, often rafting at MacMillan Wharf, where they had to tie up four and five boats deep. Several Western-rig boats, with forward pilot houses, are visible here, and in the foreground are two classic, long-and-lean Eastern rigs. The Charlotte G, AT RIGHT, built in 1952 and skippered by Henry Duarte, was one of the most successful. Even 30 years later, mention Charlotte G to a former crewman, and his voice will soften with affection, as if recalling a past love. A site on her deck was profitable indeed.